The Groovey Grill Mansion
is the rebirth of the former Groovey Grill
restaurant. The stately
District Mansion has flourished as a popular
restaurant for over 30 years and is now the perfect
venue for private social or corporate events.
was established in 1944,
by Faurice and Jessie Prince, as a sandwich shop in
Southeast Houston, Texas. The married couple wanted to
provide an eatery for Blacks during segregation,
supplying them with accommodations that other
establishments in the area elected not to provide.
In 1947, the Princes relocated their enterprise across
the street from Texas Southern University where they
began to acquire a strong, dedicated clientele.
Students and faculty often frequented between and
after classes, enjoying traditional southern cuisine.
expended to its present location, the magnificent
mansion at 2619 Calumet street. Since its relocation
in 1967, The Groovey has hosted many political figures
In 1992, a local attorney, Walter Strickland,
purchased The Groovey. It has always been his
aspiration to return the establishment to its original
ambiance and to provide an environment for social and